Friday, April 12, 2013

Cochin, India

I've heard if this place for quite awhile as I worked with 2 folks from here, when I taught at the University of Guam. They told me it was where all the smart people in India lived...and guess what, it's the only state in India that had 100% literacy. (BTW there are 28 states in India)

We visited a temple to Shiva, the destroyer goddess, the old St. Francis church started in 1502 and at one time was the final resting place for Vasco Da Gama before he was removed to his fatherland of Portugal. (we visited the church he is now buried in when we were in Lisbon 2 years ago.) From the church we went to the fish market and the "Chinese Nets." All along the way I was gawking at the scenes that flashed before my eyes. It's a very different world. The fish market had freshly caught fish, but it was placed on plates without any ice. Since it was about 100 degrees outside, I have to wonder how long the fish would stay "edible."













No comments: