Sunday, June 18, 2017

Home

We're home but I have no idea what time zone my body is in. I fear it will be that way for a few days. I have a "jet lag theory"...it will take a day to recover from each hour of difference, minus 3. We had an 8 hour time difference, so we'll need 5 days to get back to "normal." We are in day 2.
The Rialto Bridge was a highlight...but there are many others as we sailed up the "back of the boot" of Italy. 
I visited another country...the 3rd smallest in the world. I always wonder how these small places exist? What is their real purpose?
The ancient mosaics of Ravenna and Venice are wonderful. I wanted to spend hours looking at their beauty, deciphering their symbolism and wondering about how they were created. Alas, such time was not available.
The great cathedral of St. Mark in Venice is more than over the top. It's too bad you have to share it's beauty with thousands of tourists at any given time. Even though St. Mark's Square is large, Venice should take a tip from the folks who rule Machu Picchu...limit the number of tourists so all of them can enjoy the spectacle. I know that will not happen, but I can dream.
Italy is a huge living museum. Art and architecture from thousands of years ago to the present are on display. All you have to do is find them. It's more than old churches (which I love to look at too)...I'm grateful we had guides and transportation to figure out a path that was logical and beautiful.
Sleepy villages in the south of Italy told of a different life style. Quieter, more laid back, and less affluent from northern Italy.
Southern farms with ancient olive trees give way to 
Venice and all the hustle and bustle of a large city built on water.
The trip was great! Now it's time to get over jet lag and enjoy the beauty of being at home.
 
 
   

No comments: