Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Vienna

What is Vienna? The Waltz Capital of the World. The Capital of the huge Hapsburg Empire. A modern day city in Austria. A place where Viking Longboats park 3-wide on the Danube. All of these are possible answers...however my answer is yet another day on the river where I'm dealing with a cold. I'd love to get out and about in Vienna, but I know if I do, I'll catch pneumonia and I don't want to do that. When we went on a Swiss Train vacation several years back, I started to get "the cold" in Lucerne. I should have stayed in our hotel room instead of going on the next leg of the journey, but I went and I paid. By the time we got home I had pneumonia and I had to be hospitalized and I was on oxygen for 4 months. I learned a lesson. If I start to feel bad, stay put. We have the luxury of a floating hotel with excellent service...so I'm staying put. I had tickets to see the famous Lippenzaner Horses, but I stayed on the boat. I had tickets for a panoramic tour of Vienna, but I stayed on the boat. I could have gone to a concert last night, but I stayed on the boat. I feel better today than yesterday--but the other DrC is suffering from the same malady and he's about a day behind me. Tomorrow we head to Budapest and we might stay on the boat tomorrow too.

Such is life. In the meantime I've been playing with the pictures I've been taking along the river. 
I'm turning them into watercolor paintings and it's great fun. If they download, here are two of my "masterpieces."


When you get lemons make lemonade. The longboat is wonderful. Music is playing all day long, the sofas are comfy and today I discovered a whole closet of blankets. I'm curled up in a blanket now and I know I'll have a nap soon. That's a good vacation too.




No comments: