Sunday, August 30, 2026

Recovery Day 20

 A lot has happened since I last wrote. My back doctor said if I had the procedure by the 10th of August, I would be ready to go to a wedding on the 22nd. Well, we went to that wedding (so I guess I was ready) in Southern California and we both did well. The hardest part was climbing stairs, but we went up and down the stairs very slowly and all went well. Of course we tried not to go up or down the stairs any more than necessary.

The wedding was wonderful. The bride was gorgeous. The parties were grand. We had a great time. We flew handicapped and Delta took good care of us. Once we landed in Ontario, we rented a car (a Genesis which was very plush) and drove to Fallbrook. All the planning worked out, but then I'm a planner.

I've had the follow-up visit with my doctor and he says I'm ready for part 2 of the procedure which is doing the same BVNA procedure on L4 and maybe L5. Apparently you can only do the procedure on 2 vertebrae at a time. That might happen on September 11 (also called 9-11--kind of an ominous date).

In the meantime, I'm walking and standing better, but I still can't walk a mile--2 blocks seems to be what I can handle. I can stand a little bit, but if I cook at the stove, I sit on a barstool. The pain level is low. I'm doing PT in both the pool and the gym, so I'm trying to do everything I can to recover and keep the back pain from returning.

I'm watching the fawns grow up. The twins, which were full of P and V when they were newborns, are now proper little fawns. All four of the fawns are starting to lose their spots--that means they are growing up and will soon have a scent of their own. Fawns with spots do not have a scent, nature's way of protecting the little ones. Yesterday the twins were resting in the back yard and their mama was not too far away. They mind her now--she finally taught them how to be little deer, but she had her "hands" full with their antics. The other 2 fawns were much quieter than the twins. 

Life in the Rockies is good. We are getting a bit more rain this year than usual, and no one is complaining. The rain is needed as the rivers and lakes are low on water. It rains at any time of the day but there's always a breeze before the rain. The rain is spotty too. The RV park, a mile from my home, will get rain and we'll be dry or the other way around. Rain cells are not predictable. '

I'm still crocheting. The menagerie on the kitchen desk has duckies, turtles, piggies and kitties. Most have a new home waiting for them but I get to enjoy them before I give them away. The latest turtle I've named Tortellini and I'm working on Donatello, who should be finished tonight. 

Healing takes time. I have the time and things to do to help me use the time well. I listen to books, crochet, paint rocks and watch the fawns grow up. All is good. Remember, we're all in this together.

No comments: