Tuesday, August 23, 2016

It's the Berries

At the very beginning of the summer season, we have what I call "white day" when all the berry plants bloom. The white flowers burst out in the morning and are gone by evening. It's a little miracle to see white day as it's so illusiive. This year I missed white day, I saw the day after. The berry plants were basically done blooming except for a few stragglers that did not arrive "on time" as it were. After months of doing nothing (at least it appears that way) the berry plants are starting to bear some fruit.
This year we have only 2 colors of berries (right now) but more should appear in the next few days. These purple berries are still not completely ripe, as their centers are hard and white. The purple however is a very good dye. Don't get it on your clothes as it's just about impossible to remove.
The snow berries are out too. They are a light yellow-white and about the size of a pea. Both of these berries need a few more days to sweeten up, then the deer will greedily munch on them until they are gone. There's one more berry I'm looking for...I call it a "Tri-color berry" as each sprig will have blue, purple and red berries on it. 
 

No comments: