Sunday, August 21, 2016

Muledeer and Magpie

This is like a "Find Waldo" puzzle...look very carefully...see the deer on the left-center of the picture? Now look down and see the magpie? We've been living in our little chunk of the forest for many years, and we've never seen a magpie in the forest! Today I see 3 of them, and they are grooming a deer. The deer, a yearling buck, is standing still and at one time or another all 3 magpies are standing on his back, grooming his neck, back and rump.   
I wish the pictures were better, but the critters are just not walking out into the open areas! I wonder what is causing the magpies to enter the forest today? And, why have I not seen this behavior before? I'll just have to keep on looking. If you stretch the picture you can get a clearer view of the critters.

No comments: