Saturday, March 28, 2026

On the American Harmony

We are onboard the American Harmony, our floating home, for then next week. Our first stop today was Multnomah Falls, which was beautiful. The long cascade of water dropping dramatically down the gorge is mesmerizing. There's something about waterfalls that makes you want to watch them over and over again, and Multnomah was no exception. Because it's early spring, the waterfall was flowing full stream ahead.

From there we were supposed to bus to Stevenson, WA and board our boat...but our bus died. The other 3 buses made it without a hitch, but not ours. A call for help brought out a replacement bus within an hour and we were on our way. The pax in the bus took the delay well--can you believe no one complained? I was proud of us for taking the disappointment so well. We arrived at our ship about 45 minutes late but we still had time to eat a full lunch; learn how to use our life jackets (tho it will not save our lives). We also met the crew and the wonderful folks who make all the food.

At 4 there was a lecture on the Bonneville Dam on the 90 foot lock which we missed...we went to the lounge in the back of the ship and looked at the gorgeous scenery instead. We stayed there till dinner time and went to the formal dining room and had another delicious meal. I'm ordering 1/2 portions as there's just too much food. Now don't get me wrong...I'm still ordering full portions of dessert. Tonight I had a cute little creation of chocolate and raspberry that was to die for. One person at our table ordered the same dessert with ice cream and frankly I don't know how he ate it all as it was r-i-c-h. The servers give you want you want. There was an open bar after dinner--then entertainment....sadly we missed the entertainment as we were just too tired. Everyday at 10 and 3 there are fresh cookies. Throughout the day there are goodies to eat. If one goes hungry on this cruise, it's not the fault of the boat.

Tonight we are cruising downriver to the Astoria, OR which is on the ocean. We will spend most of the tomorrow exploring Astoria before sailing back up river. 

It's been fun so far. Lots of neat people to meet. Lots of well travelled folks with stories to tell, All is good on the Columbia river. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

“Sorta almost” as tho’ I’d been there with you. Terrific!
Have never been on a real cruise. Only around a bay or in a marina. I wonder that one wouldn’t completely “tire out”.