Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Life in Geezerville: Geezer Finger Edition

 


I've talked about "geezer finger" before, but I had to mention it at least one more time. This morning, my brother and I were trying to type a phrase into a search bar on our cellphones and had absolutely no success. He has wide fingers and failed. After a few attempts, he said "you do it." I have long-ish fingernails. You guessed it, failure again.

We were trying to find pictures of a car he owned a hundred years ago (I exaggerate only a little bit). It was a stripped down 1956 Chevrolet 210 Biscayne with 3-on-the-tree standard transmission and a really bad paint job. He typed that phrase but his geezer fingers said 1956 Ch3vr0let Biscahmr....my attempt was not much better1956 chevr9oet  Biscay e ... not good. 

The next thing we tried was dictation. By this time, we were laughing at the non-results of our efforts. Finally, one of us got the phrase out without a giggle and a ton of pictures showed up. We had success. Is dictation the answer?

All of us have looked at younger folks text. They make it look like a piece of cake. They are using their fingers and thumbs and successfully texting or searching, all while using the same tiny keyboard on the screen of a cellphone. There's no way my brother and I could do that. Our fingers are nimble. Both of us can type quit well. We have finger dexterity. So what is the difference? Is it practice? Youngsters text more than geezers. Is that why they do it better than we do? What it is that makes us folks in our "golden years" unable to text on a small on-screen keyboard? I know that my brother and I are not the only 2 geezers out there who cannot text worth a da**). The other DrC has the same problem...and so do a fair few of my geezer friends. We seem to be afflicted with "geezer finger." Why, oh why, is texting so difficult for geezers? 

If you can answer this question, please let me know. Please don't text me as I know how frustrating texting is. Remember, we're all in this together. 

No comments: