Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Life in Geezerville: Summer Edition?



Summer is supposed to arrive on Friday. Today it snowed. It's the 18th of June and we are having freezing nights and snow. While the Rocky Mountains are getting snow, the right coast is getting record heat. Weather is crazy. Is it global warming? Is it climate change? I have no idea. I do know the weather is acting weird.


I'm not going to blame ozone or methane or car emissions for this crazy weather. The world has experienced crazy weather for millennia.  I'm just musing about snow in the middle of June in the Rocky Mountains.


In the 30-plus years we've spent summer in the mountains, I've kept track of the last day of snow in the spring, and the first day of snow in the fall. Up to yesterday, the last day has been June 15. Last night we had snow on June 17/18. Snow was still on the ground at noon. That's unusual. In addition, the first day for an autumn snowfall has been September the 21st (the day that autumn starts). This neck of the woods has a very short growing season between the snows. However, those 60 days are heavenly. We have some fantastic summers here and we might even get one this year. Remember, we're all in this together. 

No comments: