Saturday, November 15, 2025

Life in Geezerville: Chair Yoga Progress Report

Chair Yoga is a success! All of us are feeling a lot better. I'm not going to talk for the others in the group, but I can honestly say, I've not worn a pain patch or used my TENS unit in 11 days! That's a miracle in and of itself. 

Our fifteen minute workout, 3 times a week, is a mixture of simple and "not so simple." I try to introduce a new routine every other day to keep us all on our toes. Right now we are doing box breathing, cat-cow, warrior and reverse warrior, marching, pigeon, windmill and fold. These are all stretches that are used in regular yoga that have been modified for chair yoga. We are also doing some stretches that have Yoga names but I don't know what they mean in English so we've given them funny names to help us remember them.

Since one person in our group has neuropathy, we have a specific neuropathy stretch that she says is helping. This stretch is done while standing up behind the chair, holding the back of the chair. From there,  we stand on our "tippy toes" for a count of five, then flat footed for five, then "tippy heels" for a count of five. This gets repeated 5 times. It's supposed to help balance too. 

In time, we'll be able to do a 30 minute session 3 times a week. We are not there now. I increase our time by one minute a week. I'm using a lot of web resources that show me what needs to be done. YouTube has a gazillion videos that are most helpful too. We all know we are works in progress and it will take time to master this routine...but we're ready for the challenge. In addition we have great fun talking and laughing...it's a social time for us. I'll be reporting progress regularly. In the meantime, we're all in this together.

No comments: