Back in the day when I was teaching elementary school, I would have my kids write about what they were thankful for on this day. The responses ranged from -- I'm thankful for my mom and dad -- once in awhile I heard they were thankful their parents were not divorced as Johnny's mom and dad got divorced and it's awful--or I'm thankful for my new shoes--or my family--or my cousin Ralphy. Once in awhile I read someone was thankful for a new baby sister or brother. The one I liked the best was a child who was thankful for a baby brother because the brother needed so much attention he could finally get some peace and quiet.
Later, when I taught older "kids" at university level I would ask the same question...and the answers were very similar, but answers like "I'm thankful the rent got paid this month" showed up--or I'm thankful my car is still running--a few would say they were thankful for their faith in God-- others would say they were thankful for a new found love.
There's lots to be thankful for. There's not a right answer or a wrong answer. It's a time to reflect on what you are thankful for. As I get older I'm thankful for a good husband...good health -- good memories --good family-- a brain that still works -- good friends --- and so much more. What are you thankful for?
Right now, it's the calm before the storm. The turkey needs to be readied--it's been brining for 2 days. The dressing needs to be made, as does the gravy. Soon I'll get all of that into the oven and get ready for a feast with the wonderful folks in the 'hood. My heart is full this Thanksgiving Day. I hope your day is filled with love and hope and joy too. Remember, we're all in this together.

No comments:
Post a Comment