Friday, December 31, 2021

Healthy 2022--Happy 2022

It's been an interesting year for the DrsC. We've sold a house, camped in our fifth wheel trailer, lived in our summer house, and had a house built. I've had 2 cataract surgeries and a bleeding ulcer. The defining moment of the year, was coming home from the hospital without the strength to walk. Walking, something I took for granted for 70+ years, was completely impossible to do. For the last 7 weeks I've been building up strength so I can walk on my own. The process is slow. I've gone from wheelchair to walker to cane to self-propulsion. Depending on how strong I feel, I use all those modes of assistance in order to walk around the house. 

Walking outside is another story. The surfaces are uneven, streets are busy, and stores are crowded. I don't trust myself outside. I've not been outside a lot and I've only been in 2 stores since I was hospitalized. One day I used the walker outside, and found it was just too scary. I'm not ready. If the other DrC takes me to the store, he has to deal with my chair, me, and shopping, all at the same time. 

Last week, I was released from home health care and now I'm doing PT in town. It's far more difficult than home PT, but home PT helped me get to this point. Some days I'm on top of the world...other days I'm not. Recovery has been slow and steady. 

We had plans for what we would do when we moved into the new house...and only a few of those plans  have come to fruition. We still have boxes in the garage and the den. We are missing our second vehicle. We've ordered landscaping as well as additional custom cabinetry for the master bath, den and entry. So both me and the house are works in progress. We might have our collective acts together by April or May.

We are hoping that 2022 will bring about my recovery. We are hoping the house will get "finished" and all the boxes will be unpacked and the landscaping will be installed. I'm hoping it will be a healthy New Year for both of us, and that will make me happy.

No comments: