What is home? Is it a house? A place? A memory? Something you have? Something you want? A distant dream? Something you will never attain?
For the dove in the picture, home is a safe place to raise her babies. She has chosen a quiet flowerpot on a front porch where she can hide from the "baddies out there" to hatch and raise a clutch of chicks.
For the deer in my backyard, home is a place away from hunters, speeding cars and noise. Home is a place to rear her fawns where the quaking aspens lull her offspring to sleep. A place where she was raised. She knows it's a good place for her fawns too.
It does not matter what home looks like. It can be a flowerpot, a backyard with trees, or a house. For some folks, it has wheels under it and roams the open road.
Home can be a job with colleagues who have ideals like yours and where you feel like you are doing something useful. Home can be a country--where you know you are protected from harm.
When all is said and done, home is where your heart is. It is a familiar place where you feel safe and loved and cared for. It's friendly. You love your home because your home loves you back. So I ask a question? Where is your home? I know where mine is--with my loved ones, whether in my house in the woods or my house in the desert or in between. I'm safe there. I'm loved there. I give safety and love back too. Find your home and cherish it. Remember, we're all in this together.


No comments:
Post a Comment