Saturday, September 28, 2024

Food and Ghost Stories

 Cruise ships try to outdo each other with fantastic and sometimes exotic menus. American Cruise Line is no exception. The food is plentiful. The food is great. The food is a mix of usual fare with a touch of Louisiana thrown in for good measure.

Every night we have a choice of 3 main dishes and 3 desserts. Tonight the dessert course included "Doberge" Cake. I had never heard of Doberge Cake and I've lived south of the Mason-Dixon Line twice! Apparently it's a Louisiana treat--and a treat it is! Think about a many layered cake filled with custard, buttercream icing and topped with a chocolate ganache. It was yummy. I looked up a recipe and it is not made from a standard cake mix--this is a "scratch" cake that takes about three hours to prepare. Given that, I doubt I will make one, but I'll eat a piece the next time it's offered to me. Special treats make this a fun cruise as you never know what will happen on the menu.

In addition to the food tour, we've eagerly listened to our lecturer about "the South" and "the Mississippi River." Today we learned about haunted houses, including the "most" haunted house in LA. We also learned about "the witch of Yazoo." Many, many years ago, I did a workshop in Yazoo, MS, and I learned about the witch then. Today, I heard the exact same story. Click on the link to find out more. She might be a real thing. Who knows? 

The cruise is great. We've cruised many European rivers and now we are getting to sample an American river cruise. ACL does a very nice job--we signed up for another one. Come join us!

No comments: