Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Life in Geezerville: Fall is in the Air


Today I saw another vestige of autumn--a yellow leaf. Aspen turn a beautiful lemony yellow during the fall, and it that color change is just beginning. In addition, the fawns are losing their spots and growing like weeds, getting ready for winter. When we drove to Jackson on Sunday we saw more signs that autumn was on the way too. A few trees were decked in orange leaves albeit the majority were still green. If you look carefully at the aspens, there's a slight "under hint" of yellow. It's after Labor Day, so autumn is to be expected.

What I find disappointing is my aster prediction. Six weeks ago the asters started to bloom. The "local lore" for the WY high country says autumn will arrive 8 weeks after the asters bloom or, as was the case this year, September 16. The asters were wrong! I don't think any of the deciduous trees will still be green on the 16th. I'm already seeing the white "snowberries" too. Around here, most of the wild berries turn white during the autumn and the deer love to eat them. Our snowberries have arrived.

The seasons march by in logical progression--spring to summer to autumn to winter. Soon it will be time to snowbird away to warmer winter climes. Our winter home has 2 seasons--warm and hot. Summertime is triple digit hot for several weeks. Wintertime is mostly warm with a touch of cool every now and again to let you know that it is winter. There's not a big autumn color display as there are not many deciduous trees in the desert. 

We have beautiful autumn colors in western WY and I'm expecting this year will be pretty spectacular too. When that happens I'll take pictures for you. If your area has a pretty autumn please send me pictures and I'll post them on the blog. In the meantime, remember, we're all in this together. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your aspen leaf, Populous tremuloides, has a flat petiole (leaf stalk) whereas most petioles are round. This is why aspen leafs will flutter in the wind, hence the term, quaking aspen. Bothmer