Sunday, October 27, 2024

Geezerville at Sea: Another Bumpy Day

 

This was a day where we had to follow the Antarctica Protocol of "One hand for the ship and one hand for yourself." In other words we are still having rough seas. IF you decided to leave your room today, you definitely needed to hang on to a railing for dear life. That is "one hand for the ship." Thank goodness there are railings almost everywhere but there are none in the elevator vestibules. There are none in big rooms either. It's also not the time to use any swimming or soaking facilities as they will swamp you. The outdoor pools and hot tubs have mesh coverings, telling you in no uncertain words they are not available. Sadly the hydrotherapy pool was not covered this morning so I took to the warm water and hung on very tight. I left after my allotted 15 minutes and sat on a thermal lounger and looked at the ocean. Later I had an acupuncture treatment which relaxed some very tight muscles.

I returned to my cabin and figured out what would come next. I went to lunch then went to the Crow's Nest on Deck 10. The ship was alive. It's not common to be sailing in rough seas in this stretch of the ocean, but we've experienced it one time before. At that time, we were sailing out of San Pedro for Hawaii, and all 4 days to Honolulu were ROUGH. It happens. As I was trying to leave the Crow's Nest the ship made a very unexpected lurch, lost my footing and I fell down on another chair 2 chairs from where I was sitting. I sort of splashed down with my back hitting the seat of the chair, missing the floor. It happened quickly and the people I was talking to could not react fast enough to stop my fall. The nice folks decided to give me an escort to the elevator...they were making sure I would not fall again. I waited for the elevator and that's when I discovered there were no railings by them.  Not a good thing on bumpy days.

Back in the room we both decided it would be better to have dinner in the cabin...so we blew off the first "dressy" night of the adventure and stayed home and watched a movie. It is safer here than in the open hallways. The bottom line is BE SAFE. Remember, we're all in this together.


No comments: