As I looked at the cute little contraption that was popular before Henry built his Model T, I remembered a story my mother-in-law told me of an adventure she had when she was a little girl.
She told me of a long journey on a "trap" when she was 8 or 9. The journey was from Enid, Oklahoma to Dallas, Texas with her dad. He was going to pick up a surprise for his wife, while on a business trip to Dallas, so he took his little girl on a road trip in their horse and buggy. She did not recall how long the trip lasted, but she said it was really exciting as she was NOT with her brothers, just she and her dad. When they got to Dallas, he did his business then he went to an "emporium" and they bought some very special "China" he had ordered for her mom. The China was packed in crates and straw and was put in the back of trap. They carefully made their way back to Enid with their treasure. She recalled they went slower as they could not break the very special and fragile China (not to mention expensive). When they got home, her mother was beyond surprised with her brand new fancy dishes.
Those dishes have been in the family for over a century. I don't know where they all are, as there were 7 children, but I have 3 large serving platters. They are precious to me.
When I see the platters or use one of them, I think of the story. An 8 year old girl and her daddy out for a one or two month adventure on unpaved roads in a horse and buggy. Where did they stay? How did they take care of each other and the horse? Did they sleep under a tarp in the back of the trap? What exactly did it entail to go on such a long journey? Would mama be anxious to let her only little girl go on such a journey? I have no idea how to answer those questions. They must have taken the drive in the summer, as she did not recall a cover on the "trap." How long did it take? On modern roads, it's about 350 miles from Enid to Dallas. It's a long day trip down the interstate.
Pre-World War One, there were gasoline and electric cars, but folks in the country used their horse and buggy. It was reliable, did not need gasoline or electricity for power--fodder for a horse was available. On a good day with the right conditions, a horse and buggy could travel up to 30 miles. And, it was exciting. Imagine, an 8 year old on a very long journey with her daddy? She did not tell me if she drove the trap, but she might have--she was a very competent woman, so maybe the little girl was too.
Going to Dallas was a BIG deal. They might have been away for 2 months. They were driving in the heat, humidity, wind and dust. She recalled the dust and the wind, which she hated to the day she died. While dad was doing "business" in Dallas he also had to get the surprise for his wife, you have to wonder what does a little girl do?
Can you imagine that trip? I saw the wonder in my mother-in-law's eyes when she told the story. It was definitely THE adventure of her young lifetime. I don't know when her father bought a gasoline powered vehicle, but I know he bought one eventually...and she also talked about an adventure she and girlfriend took in a car to the east coast, where they camped in schoolyards along the way as there were no hotels.
That was then, this is now. We travel with impunity and think nothing of long distance travel. We drive or fly and that's that. No big deal. 115 years ago it was a big deal. Times have changed, but the adventure is still there. It's fun to think about that trip way back when and wonder what it was like?

2 comments:
❤️
I know the story of my Aunt as a young woman. I didnot know about the trip to Dallas. Thanks for sharing
Post a Comment