Thursday, October 31, 2024

Geezerville at Sea: Honolulu Edition


We made landfall today at Terminal 11 in Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii. I think most of the pax left the ship today. After a week in the boat, it was a good thing to stand on land that was not moving. Honolulu greeted us in traditional aloha style with an orchid lei. Of course we took the lei...we're tourists why not look like one. I hope we were not tourons.

Karen and I had an agenda...we needed to buy a few things that we forgot to pack or decided not to pack because they were too heavy or bulky. To that end we taxied to the Ala Moana mall and found most of what we needed and a few more things too. Our first stop was Ross, then a store that sold quilts, then Long's Drug Store. On the mainland, Long's has become CVS, but it's still Long's here. I've always liked that store. We bought what we needed, walked over 5000 steps...by then I was feeling pretty beat up. My hip and back are not ready for longer walks. We made a quick stop at Walmart too (only the best stores you know), then we taxied home. There are lots of taxis in Honolulu and finding one is easy. We were dropped off at Terminal 11 and we wandered back to the ship. Our first stop was a bar for a soft drink, but none were open...we ended up on Deck 9 at the Lido Buffet where I chugged 3 cans of club soda. Karen only had one. It was thirsty out there.


At bit of rest in the room followed by a soak in the hot tub...all is good. My back hurts but I kinda over overdid it today. Dinner at the main dining room followed by a performance of the ship's dance corps finished the day. A good day too.

BTW Honolulu is a huge city. It is full of traffic, high rise buildings and congestion. It's a far cry from the first time we saw the city over 40 years ago. It's any big city now, not a quiet city as it was. Things change. It's a vital bustling metropolis that everyone needs to visit at least once. Remember, we're all in this together. 


No comments: