Friday, November 1, 2024

Geezerville a Sea: Kona Edition


Today I played with the 25x  zoom on the new iPhone...that's one of the pix I took. It's pretty clear considering the shore was far from the boat. We made landfall about 730, but getting to shore required a tender and that required a number. We did not go ashore, instead we enjoyed a mostly quiet ship to ourselves. That is a special treat. 

Shore days mean the ship is quiet but it still works. So the Lido is open as are the bars and the pools but there are no wait lines. You can get used to not waiting in about a nanosecond! For us it meant going to the Crow's Nest and looking out the floor to ceiling windows watching all the activity down below. Usually every chair is filled, but not on shore days...we had our pick of primo places. The submarine adventure would surface every so often, the pleasure craft would come and go, and the person surfing being pulled by a huge parasail/parachute would float nearby. My friend Karen wanted to go  ashore, but I was too beat up from yesterday. We just looked at the Target store from afar.
That big zoom lens is too much fun...
Dinner on Halloween was fun. Karen had bought us matching witches hats so we wore them to dinner. I felt like Professor McGonigal! Then we paraded around the ship a little bit showing off our costumes. We had folks in masks, Halloween t-shirts, one woman was a flapper with a beaded dress, another wore an outfit that was decorated with huge spider webs. Good fun. I went to acupuncture at 8 wearing my hat and one of the receptionists loved it so much she asked if she could borrow it for the crew's party tomorrow night...so I gave it to her. She promised to send me a picture of her in the hat. I'll post them tomorrow. 

One  strange factoid: there is a tiny bit of England in Hawaii. Captain Cook died here, and there is a memorial to him on Hawaii. The land by this plinth is not Hawaii.

We are now at sea for another week before we make landfall in Samoa. That will be a new country for us--number 141 but who is counting. We have been to American Samoa, but Samoa is a different country. It's all good fun. Remember, we're all in this together. 


No comments: