Today was a sea day--and lucky for us, it was a calm sea day. The placid water was a big change from our last set of sea days. We are cruising along at 17 knots which is about 5 knots slower than the transit between Seattle and Hawaii. Because we left Seattle 6 hours late, the captain felt like he needed to put the hammer down.Twenty-two knots is very fast for a big ship. At 22 knots the water is choppy/rough...seventeen knots is about normal for a cruise ship. We should make landfall on Thursday, November 7 in Samoa. During the next few days we will cross the equator and the dateline. There's always a little shipboard celebration for both of those events.
In Hawaii we picked up 2 lecturers. One is talking about plate tectonics the other is talking about his life story. As former lecturers, we are confused how one of the presenters gets to talk about his life. We went to his lecture today--but the jury is out if he's good or not. We did not see the other lecturer--we'll see what he has to offer tomorrow. We are very picky about lecturers.
Tonight we had a big treat. We went to the Pinnacle Grill for dinner. This is one of the specialty restaurants on the ship and it was very good. All four of us enjoyed our dinner immensely--and we loved the dessert even more--crème brûlée--but it's hard not to love crème brûlée. It was a dressy night, so folks were wearing their fancy clothes. There are fewer tuxedos and ball gowns than in the past, but we clean up "pretty good."
After dinner we saw the show in the World Threater. It was a dance production. We generally like the dance programs a lot. They are good dancers, but for the life of me, I have not been able to stay awake during their performances. They play loud unfamiliar music, use lots of lighting effects, and they can dance--but when I sit down in the dark auditorium I fall asleep. I saw the beginning and ending of every number as I would wake up when folks applauded a performance...then I would see the start of the next routine only to fall asleep again. Karen said they were good, so I have to take her word for it. I have no idea why they put me to sleep. It's not that I'm doing anything all that earth-shaking during the day, but I can't stay awake when they perform.
Life on the Westerdam is good. We eat, sleep, drink, see shows, talk, go to the hot tub, relax on the thermal chairs, and repeat. I love that routine. It's going to be hard to go back home but home we will go. Once there, we will pick up our normal routine with fond memories of what we did for 24 days on the Pacific Ocean. Remember, we're all in this together.

No comments:
Post a Comment