Wednesday, November 27, 2024

Old Movie Review: The Forbidden Planet

Sixty-eight years ago, The Forbidden Planet was made. It is a science fiction "wonder" with special effects by the Walt Disney Studios. The special effects include Robby the Robot, a real flying saucer and eerie space-agey weird music. Come to think of it, the whole movie is bad...and that is what made it fun for me to watch.

The year is 2200; the planet in question is Altair-4; the actors are Leslie Nielsen, Anne Francis, and Walter Pidgeon; there are only 3 sets and the action is slow--oh and did I say it was a predictable story. 

It's not a modern movie that has to fill in DEI slots. It's a typical girl meets boy story set in space on an isolated planet that is no longer inhabited. The original folks who lived there, the Krell, are long dead as they met an awful death...by the Id Monsters. I'm guessing in 1956 not many people knew much about the Id, Ego and Superego...so the Id became the monster. I'm not going to give away any more of the story. I'm just gonna say it was fun to see how the movies pictured the future in 1956.

A mere twenty years later, Stars Wars came out...and the whole world of science fiction movies made a big C-change. I thought it would be interesting to watch a precursor to what was to come...and it was.If you want a good laugh, try to find The Forbidden Planet on Turner Classic Movies or maybe YouTube (I don't know if it's there, but everything else is). We need to laugh every now and again.

No comments: