Sunday, November 10, 2024

Suva, Fiji


We docked at Suva, Fiji this morning, where it was hot and humid, only to get hotter or more humid by nightfall. We stayed on the ship, and had it with a handful of pax. We like it when the pax leave and we have the "yacht" to ourselves. I even met the captain, which I never would have done on a typical day when all 2000 of us are on board. 

I spent most of the day in the Crow's Nest watching a container ship being loaded. It's fascinating how a huge container can be moved with seemingly little effort, as long as you have big cranes. One container stayed open and empty for quite awhile--then a red Ram pickup was driven into the container, the back doors were closed and it too was loaded into the ship. I wondered where the pickup was going and how long it was going to take to get there. I also wondered how the Ram pickup got here as you don't see a lot of American cars on these little islands...you see LOTS of Japanese and Korean cars instead.

We missed the museum of Fiji, which we heard was very interesting. We missed a beautiful garden (pictured above). We missed another shopping experience. Instead, I am almost finished with the baby blanket I'm making. It might get finished tomorrow when we have a sea day. Next stop is supposed to be New Caledonia, but there are problems on that island...if they escalate we'll keep on sailing...we'll see what happens. A little drama on the high seas.

No comments: