Wednesday, November 13, 2024

Yesterday/Easo--Today/Noumea

 

Sunset in Easo, New Caledonia. 
Morning in Noumea, New Caledonia

The difference between these 2 ports of call is like night and day. Easo is remote, quaint and not quite in the 20th century while Noumea is the opposite. They are both tropical, aka hot and humid. This morning I was awakened by a call on my mobile (which has not rung in 2 weeks)  from Salt Lake City requesting I make an appointment for the other DrC at Huntsman. It was 5:30 AM and I was very groggy but I had to get into "thinking" mode quickly  and respond to the call. I told the nice person we were in New Caledonia and she said--"so you are on the cruise you were talking about?" When you think you are far from the "world" the "world" will find you. I was also impressed that the person I was talking to remembered that we were going to be on a cruise. Huntsman is a special place in more ways than one.

While we might be thousands of miles away from SLC, I can see a cell tower from my cabin, and that's all it takes to get a call from home. We have been to Noumea before--in fact we were stranded in Noumea before, so I don't think we'll get off the "yacht" today. Yesterday was a tender port, and I don't deal well with tall steps right now, so we stayed on the yacht again. We like staying onboard when most of the pax are gone. It's quiet here; the ship is beautiful; and we can do whatever we want without having a schedule. 

New Calendonia is our last landfall before we get to Sydney in 3 days. It's sad to leave our little home in the middle of the ocean, but it's about time to do so. But for now, I'll show you a couple of more pix from this tiny set of islands in the South Pacific. 
The port in Easo
The Catholic Church in Easo
The bottom line...cruisin' is good!

 PS: the lone volcano I saw the other day might be Mathews or Hunter --both are "lone" uninhabited islands in this "neck of the woods."

No comments: