Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Eurostar

We are now entering the track that will take us to the Channel Tunnel, and I'm looking for the "Jungle" where there are a bunch of folks trying to get into England. We've seen reports in Switzerland about the size of the Jungle and the conditions...the size is large and growing, and the conditions are poor and getting worse. So far, all I am seeing is dirty track and no "Jungle." But then, I don't know if I want to see the "Jungle." 

As we are leaving Paris there are two major observations that need to be written about. 1) Paris is dirty. Switzerland was clean and the contrast between the two countries is dramatic. I wrote that Italy was "relaxed" and not quite as tidy as Switzerland. Paris is way beyond relaxed. It's all the way to dirty and someone needs to clean it up. 2) Beggars! For the last two weeks we have not seen a person sitting on the street asking for a handout. As we were leaving Gare du Lyon there were a couple of beggars, and as we were entering the Gare du Nord, there was a gauntlet of beggars. In fact they were pushy beggars; as I dodged one, I was assaulted by another who needed to be dodged only to be attacked by a third...and on and on it went! Earlier this year, we were in Norway, where beggars are not allowed for more than 90 days. I'm not sure who keeps track of the 90 day limit, but our guide said the beggars do not stay around too long. I fear the beggars outside of Gare du Nord are more or less permanent fixtures. Such a shame!

No comments: