Sunday, November 3, 2024

Geezerville at Sea: Dateline Edition

 


Sometime tonight we will cross the International Dateline. We are going to bed on Saturday night and we will wake up on Monday morning. We've crossed the dateline many times, and it is still an "event" because it is just sooooo strange. But, if time is to be kept in a logical fashion, a time meridian is necessary. One time I crossed the dateline on "the best night" to see Halley's Comet...so I never saw it pass  over during its last appearance. That's just the way the dateline is.

We had a very pleasant sea day. The ocean was very quiet...a few gentle ripples. If we were on an old fashioned sailing ship with a real sails, we would have not made much progress today. Instead, we were cruising at 18 knots. The captain upped our speed by a little bit. As you can see, we had a stunning sunset tonight. Maybe the captain was speeding to this sight? My acupuncture person, Dr. Hu (pronounced Who) said the sky was pink port side, so she went to starboard and saw "a most beautiful" sunset. 

While listening to our other lecturer, I reached the halfway mark of my blanket. This fellow is speaking on Plate Tectonics and Volcanoes. He knows his topic but he is not a great presenter. He does not know his slides as he should; his pacing is off, but he does connect to the audience. One out of 3 is lackluster. I need to start a cruise lecture school to show folks how to do it "right." Oh well...that's not going to happen.

I made a huge discovery a couple of nights ago. The ship is serving 15 ounce steaks at dinner and they are just too big. Quite accidentally I learned you can order 1/2 a steak. I've done it a few times and it works. If you go on a cruise, you can do the same thing. Remember, we're all in this together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous painting of colors! Bravo 👩‍✈️!