Another lovely sea day. We ate. We talked to folks. We looked at the ocean which was flat and smooth. We both listened to our books. All is good.
Sunset came and I was hoping it would be spectacular like last night because we had some picturesque clouds floating above the water...but it was not a colorful sunset. A large yellow ball rested among the clouds and quickly dipped to the edge of the water before slipping away from sight. Since it was a perfect golden orb, I was hoping to see a "green flash" but that did not happen.
I've seen the "green flash" once--when we lived on Guam. For weeks, I went to the shore at sunset and looked for the flash, and nothing happened...then one night, when I was getting ready to give up on my quest, I saw the "green flash!"And, I had witnesses too! I was so excited to see something that some folks think is not real.
Jules Verne wrote about the green flash in his 1882 novel called "The Green Ray." And the green flash is mentioned in the 2007 movie, "Pirate's of the Caribbean: At World's End." There is also scientific proof that the flash exists...but seeing one in person, well that's another thing. You need to be in the right place, at the right time, and not blink during the 2 or 3 seconds that the green light is visible. Tonight, I did not see the flash. On a similar cruise to this one, on the Sun Princess, I sat with a couple who were looking for the flash during most of the cruise. They were surprised that I had actually seen one, as they had been looking for the flash for years.
Whether searching for the green flash, or something else, a good place to start is an ocean voyage...one that has a lot of sea days. Sea days are restful and low key and perfect for R and R. Remember, we're all in this together.
(I copied the photo from Wikipedia...it shows the stages of a green flash...but it happens very fast. The top picture shows the green sinking sun--the 4 smaller photos show the progression. I did not see progression, I just saw a flash of green light.)

1 comment:
3 bright tops of beautiful green orbs, 1addl faint one, 1 tiny above railing; orange sky.or orange water. All spectacular for me! With color & prose can almost feel comfy slight sway of your ship.
Post a Comment